CANADIAN WINE SOMMELIER CHAMPIONSHIP IN GREATER CHINA
Are you a sommelier or food & beverage professional in Greater China?
Do you know about Canadian wine and the wine regions of Canada?
Do you want to test and increase your knowledge of Canadian wines?
The Trade Commissioner Service of the Government of Canada proudly presents the first ever Canadian Wine Sommelier Championship (CWSC) for sommeliers and food & beverage professionals in hotels, restaurants, bars, or clubs in Greater China including China, Hong Kong, and Macao.
The CWSC will include two stages of competition:
- The Semi-Finals (September 18, 2017): A written exam will be held in 5 cities across Greater China (Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong). In addition to the written exam, each participant must answer 1 question about Canadian wine in video format.
- The Final (late November 2017): 1 successful Semi-Finalist from each of the 5 cities will travel to Hong Kong for a written exam, blind tasting, and a skills challenge, to be held in front of a panel of judges and a live audience.
The winner of the Canadian Wine Sommelier Championship in Greater China Final will be awarded a GRAND PRIZE of an all-expenses paid trip to the wine regions of Canada (British Columbia, Ontario, and Nova Scotia) in late spring/early summer 2018. The Champion will be expected to chronicle this trip to Canada as part of Destination Canada's digital footage for the Canada-China Year of Tourism in 2018.
To apply, entrants must:
- Be living in mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macao, and have the right to work in at least one of these jurisdictions.
- Be in full-time employment as a sommelier or food & beverage professional in a hotel, restaurant, bar, or club.
- Have sufficient skills in English, both written and oral, to participate in the competition, and understand and agree that the competition will be conducted in English only.
- Be willing and able to travel, by their own means and expense, to one of the cities where the Semi-Finals are being held (Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Guangzhou, or Hong Kong) on the date of the Semi-Finals.
- Be willing and able to travel to Hong Kong in late November 2017 for the Final, which will require a full day in Hong Kong plus up to two nights in a hotel for contestants from outside of Hong Kong or Macao (expenses to be paid by organizers, with some exceptions).
- Be able to, as the Grand Prize winner, chronicle the visit to Canadian wine regions and agree to the usage of social media and footage by supporting partners, and as part of Destination Canada's digital marketing strategy for the Canada China Year of Tourism.
Existing social media followings of candidates will be taken into consideration when determining eligibility, and a significant following will be considered an asset qualification.
The organizers reserve the right to determine the eligibility of any entrant. By entering the CWSC you agree to abide by the Terms and Conditions of the competition.
Registration is free of charge, and all applications must be received no later than midnight CST, August 23, 2017.
July 10: Competition Announcement
August 23: Registration closes (deadline extended)
August 30: Notification and invitation of eligible candidates to participate in the Semi-Final (deadline extended)
September 18: Semi-Finals in Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong (includes Macao entrants)
October 8 (deadline extended): Deadline for submission of Canadian wine question in video format
October 27: Notification of winners of Semi-Finals
November 23: Final in Hong Kong and announcement of Champion
Spring/Summer 2018: Grand Prize trip to Canada